The Civil Infrastructure Platform (“CIP”) is a collaborative, open source project hosted by the Linux Foundation. The CIP project is focused on establishing an open source “base layer” of industrial grade software to enable the use and implementation of software building blocks in civil infrastructure projects. Currently, civil infrastructure systems are built from the ground up, with little re- use of existing software building blocks.
The CIP project intends to create reusable building blocks that meet the safety, reliability and other requirements of industrial and civil infrastructure. By establishing this ‘base layer’, CIP aims to:
- Speed up implementation of civil infrastructure systems;
- Build upon existing open source foundations and expertise without reinventing non-domain specific technology;
- Establish (de facto) standards by providing a base layer reference implementation;
- Contribute to and influence upstream projects regarding industrial needs;
- Motivate suppliers to actively support these platform / provide an implementation; and
- Promote long term stability and maintainability of the base layer of code.
With respect to project governance, a Governing Board is responsible for financial matters with respect to the project while the Technical Steering Committee oversees the technical direction of the project.